Retractions

Monday, May 22, 2006

Chaff

RSV Matthew 3:11 "I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the granary, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire."

Any use of a threshing floor and winnowing fork ought to preach. Luke uses nearly the same wording but adds an interesting editorial comment, “So, with many other exhortations, he proclaimed the good news to the people.” (Luke 3:18). The feeling of dread elicited by the promised divine meting out of justice seems not to be good news. After all, what if you are the chaff? Double predestination (which is in my opinion the only kind) offers no good news, well it offers some good news, and some really bad news. Definitely not an unqualified good news for all men (unless you follow Calvin/Augustine/Aquinas’s all means all kinds of...). Harvest time is good news especially if you are hungry, if you silo is running empty. It is especially good news If there have been several bad years in a row. No more dross. No more empty hulls. It is time for substance this is good news. On Sunday my sermon drew criticism from my youth. I must confess, it flattered me that they were listening close enough to complain! I said that Punk music was not beautiful. I said that it was discordant. What makes something beautiful is not based on a person’s tastes but rather it is based on conforming to what is harmonic. I was right and wrong. Static is without harmony. Punk music as much as it pains me to admit does contain harmony. The beauty of music is certainly dependent on a skilled artist. The artist must conform to the underlying rules of harmony (or break them in an harmonic way!). Divine judgment is a cosmic makeover. The discordant the rhythm-less will be tuned. This is good news for all.

6 Comments:

  • Paul certainly believed predestination was good news (Eph 1:3-14; 1 Thess 1:2-5), as did Jesus (Matt 11:25-27; Luke 10:21-22). Ironically, the Lukan passage cited above (which is heavily predestinarian) is one of the few times in Scripture we read of Jesus rejoicing. Jesus took pleasure in the freedom of divine grace to hide the truth from the elite and reveal it to "infants". Jesus also speaks at length about predestination in John 6:26-71.

    Nowhere does the Bible say that the gospel is unqualified good news for all people without exception. After all, the gospel contains a clear word of judgment to those who will not repent. Calvinists and Arminians both agree on this. Furthermore, Calvinists and Arminians both agree that the gospel is to be freely proclaimed to all, and that a true, bona fide offer of forgiveness is available to any and all who will repent. This is good news for all people, but it comes with a sharp edge of judgment and condemnation for those who love sin more than they do Christ.

    I don't think the winnowing fork passage is about predestination, except by theological implication. I think it speaks more of eschatological separation, without specifying the root of such separation in the eternal purpose of God, which Luke clearly specifies elsewhere (Luke 10:21-22; Acts 13:48). The good news is that the Messiah is coming, bringing with him the age of the Spirit foretold by the prophets, the age in which the people of God would be purified to love him from the heart (Jer 31:31-34; Ezek 37; Joel 2:28-32). Conversely, in Scripture salvation is always accompanied by judgment; in this case, the Messiah's ministry causes a separation between those renewed by the Spirit and those who cling to their sin. The One through whom God would set the world to rights is coming. That is very good news.

    By Blogger Aaron, at 6:07 PM  

  • I also appreciate the fact that you say double predestination is the only kind. I agree with you, except I would add this little caveat:

    While all Calvinists believe predestination to life is unconditional, there is disagreement over whether reprobation is conditional or unconditional. Supralapsarians believe in unconditional reprobation. Infralapsarians believe in conditional reprobation. I stand much closer to the infralapsarian position.

    By Blogger Aaron, at 6:11 PM  

  • Dear Aaron,
    I appreciate your thoughtful comments. I readily concede that greater minds, and more generous hearts than mine have rejoiced in this understanding of salvation. I am also ready to concede that if this is true then I will rejoice in it as well. With that caveat I do not find the view of unconditional reprobation in accord with the scriptures. One could argue who one is talking about when one uses the terms "Calvinists" or "Reformed" Certainly there is no question that Calvin articulated the understanding that God willed the fall of the devil. The Christian writers that I have found most compelling in regards to this issue are Chesterton and Lewis. Perhaps I will give a more nuanced criticism of my concerns with unconditional reprobation.

    blessings,

    Luke

    By Blogger Luke, at 8:22 PM  

  • I recommend Henri Blocher's book _Evil and the Cross_ for the best treatment of this subject. Actually, Blocher writes about the problem of evil in general, not specifically about the Supralapsarian/Infralapsarian debate, but the topic is pertinent to this discussion.

    I believe God's sovereignty extends even to the Fall (of both Satan and mankind). However, I also believe in conditional reprobation, meaning that IF we can fathom some kind of order to God's decrees (which is doubtful to begin with), that God's decree of reprobation considers people AS SINNERS and not as neutral, creatable beings.

    By Blogger Aaron, at 9:01 PM  

  • Dear Aaron,
    I appreciate your suggestion. I will take a look at Blocher's book next time I'm in the Library. I will also in the coming weeks provide a more extended treatment of why I think this approach is misguided....my thoughts open to be retracted!

    blessings,
    Luke

    By Blogger Luke, at 9:57 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home