Retractions

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Why Duke

This summer I am taking a course on the Pastoral Epistles at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (SEBTS). This course will complete my degree. I am glad to be near the end. It is interesting that I am finishing my degree in way where I began, perhaps there is some irony in this. I began my seminary training at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary (NOBTS). If you are not familiar with Southern Baptist Life there are six denominational schools. New Orleans, Golden Gate, Southwestern, Southern, Midwestern, and Southeastern. After a year at New Orleans I transferred. Today at SEBTS I was reminded of why I left New Orleans. I should first note there are many things I liked about New Orleans, and that I appreciate at Southeastern. I especially appreciate the devotion and commitment of the students. There is a piety that feels both familiar and comfortable to me. The students seem to have a great commitment to serve the church. Being in this community reminds me of the great appreciation I have for SBC life. And yet when I go into class it all changes. The professor and students spend at least half the class time talking about the potential false teachings that could emerge from some potential reading of a scripture passage. The professor in his wisdom asserts the ability to divine the motives the under gird variant readings. There is absolutely no questioning of the professors’ opinion. Today I was unable to keep from probing what seemed to me to be a questionable deduction. The professor became quite agitated and asked heatedly several times if he had answered my question. I had this same kind of experience at NOBTS. At NOBTS one encounter ended with a professor asking me to stand on my desk and flap my arms. It should come as no surprise that there is very little questioning of professors. No school is perfect obviously and there are many things I could identify as weaknesses about Duke. Today has reminded me to appreciate the learning environment at Duke. This environment fosters the probing of ideas. At the two SBC seminaries I have now attended there seems to be an initial fear to any questioning like that of an over protective parent who will not let anyone touch their child for fear of germs. Two more weeks, two long weeks.

7 Comments:

  • Hey Luke.

    I feel your pain. When I was at a conservative Evangelical seminary (nondenominational/interdenominational, not Southern Baptist), I too encountered this type of frustrating myopia. Thankfully, however, it presented itself more in the students than in the professors. That said, the contrarian in me relished the opportunity to be belligerent. It got me nowhere, but it was fun.

    Like you, I am glad I eventually transferred to a mainline school; although, as you observe, mainline schools have their weaknesses also.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 AM  

  • Neal,
    Thanks for the comment. I concur mainline schools have their weaknesses. I am still awaiting your input on 1 Timothy 2:8-15

    Luke

    By Blogger Luke, at 9:18 AM  

  • are you freakin' kidding me? flap your arms? that's not authoratarian; that's just nuts! run. run far and fast.

    By Blogger myleswerntz, at 1:22 PM  

  • Myles,
    Yes crazy...I should put the request in context. I asked a question that was most certainly pelagian. However I did not know that! The professor Stormin Stan Norman a conservative firebrand thought that by having me stand on the chair and flap my wings I could better appreciate how hard it would be to live without sin. I am not sure the connection in his mind, I guess it was something like if you can fly you can be without sin....nevertheless his point was not well received. It struck me at the time if Jesus was fully man, and without sin then a man could potentially live without sin. Even when Paul writes for "all have sinned" doesn't mean all must sin...right. Anyway that was my thinking at the time. Needless to say the militancy at New Orleans and at Southeastern are seriously poor pedagical methods in my opinion.

    thanks for the comments.

    blessings,

    Luke

    By Blogger Luke, at 7:38 PM  

  • Luke - It took a lot of work on a slow work day to finally track you down. Shoot me an email if you get this

    Keil (ksgreen@lafayettegroup.com)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 PM  

  • Luke - My NOBTS friend -- please email me your contact info. I'd like to talk with you. I miss you man!

    Eric esmith@martinbluffchurch.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:05 PM  

  • Please pray for us here in Kenya, because the situation is getting worse and worse, we are suffering, email me on peterwambugu@yahoo.com if you would like to help us or send a message of hope to us.
    Peter

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home